Friday, July 27, 2012

Real Men Cook Real Food!

butter, sugar, egg, flour, baking powder, choc...
butter, sugar, egg, flour, baking powder, chocolate, coconut flakes (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

There is a certain group of old people who believe that a woman's place is in the home – or more accurately, in the kitchen cooking for her man, but do you know what – guys cook too! I actually really love to cook in the kitchen. In fact, I would go so far as to say 'Real Men Cook!'
I cannot even get my head around the fact that there are men out there who are incapable of feeding themselves properly. How does one get to adult life without the ability to roast a chicken, boil some eggs or bake a lasagne? I guess it might help that I am a really independent sort of guy and I would not be comfortable having to depend on someone else to feed me. I feel like it should be basic human nature to care for your own body. My mother always had us help when she was cooking and by my early teens I was able to make a number of meals. Nowadays, me and my wife probably share the cooking equally. I think in modern times where both partners tend to be full time employees this has become common. I know I wouldn't feel right making my wife cook after working the same as me even if I didn't enjoy cooking.


I do not really know why I am so at home in the kitchen. I think it has a lot to do with the small child living inside me. Cooking, especially baking, is a little bit like magic. I mean we take all these raw ingredients mi them together and add heat and they turn into something a bit delicious! Think about the last time you baked a cake. Flour, Sugar, Butter, Eggs, Baking Powder – none are particularly enticing (well not raw) but blend them together and pop it all in the oven and twenty minutes later you have a gorgeous cake to munch. That intrigues me. I think that is why when I am in the kitchen, I will lean towards cooking from scratch rather than out of a packet. I just feel it tastes better and is more rewarding.


Of course, like most men – even those who don't cook – I love to grill! I am king of the barbecue at home. There is some kind of primitive masculine urge when it comes to roasting meat over an open flame! Me Man Make Fire Eat Meat!!!

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. There are a number of common sense reasons why women have been the traditional cooks in the home. A man cooks because a man is self-reliant. A man does not go on about "old people" and pander to feminists. Learn to take a little pride.

    ReplyDelete